Skip to main content

Radical Self-Love Part Two of Four

Radical Self-Love!


Part Two of Radical Self-Love is tackling the kicks that life can give us along the way to chip away at our potential for self-love.

My last blog dealt with messages we may have received growing up on our self-worth, thereby affecting our self-love potential.  Part two we are examining the things that life can do to us to whip it out of us, temporarily and sometimes permanently, if we let it. 
Even if you grew up with loving messages from your primary caretakers,  middle school hits.....you start questioning yourself, your worth and it is all measured by the yard stick carried by the most popular girls.  I don't care how much self-love you have....it is difficult to survive some traumatic stuff as a young girl when the end goal is generally just to fit in.
Or, maybe you feel the radiant beauty of self-love until the major break-up occurs with your partner.  Ouch, the rejection, the self-doubt, the feelings of worthlessness.
Or, maybe you have enjoyed the joy and exuberance of life with the one you love, who dies before you.  As you move through the grief created by that void and begin to look at the future horizon, you question...."Who will love me like that again?"  "At my age, how can I start over?"  You start to doubt all you have to offer the next one.
Or, you face a major shift in your life.  A change of any kind and as the ground shifts beneath your once solid feet, once a stable foundation to hold you secure, your concept of self-love is put to the challenge...a career change, your grown-up babies moving on by dating or moving out, all those things that fed your self-love and held it safely for you, or a move for you leaving your friends behind. 

rad·i·cal

/ˈrædhttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngɪhttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngkəl/ Show Spelled [rad-i-kuhhttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pnghttp://static.sfdict.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngl] Show IPA
adjective
1.
of or going to the root or origin; fundamental: a radical difference.
2.
thoroughgoing or extreme, especially as regards change from accepted or traditional forms: a radical change in the policy of a company.
3.
favoring drastic political, economic, or social reforms: radical ideas; radical and anarchistic ideologues.
4.
forming a basis or foundation.
5.
existing inherently in a thing or person: radical defects of character.
 
This is where the radical comes in to the concept of radical self-love.  It is the root, it is the foundation, it is inherent.  Regardless of what occurs or shifts externally...the root of our being is love for self.  Like a beautiful blossoming tree that bears sweet fruit...it all begins with a healthy root system.  Without that, life's kicks can shake us to the core.
I am a strong believer in things don't happen to you, they happen for you.  My older sister, Michelle, died of a brain tumor at the age of 29...I was 26 at the time and shook me to the core of my self-love.  It knocked me down, but not out, of life.  It was important to me to learn something about myself, about the world and take some lesson or gift away from that time.  For me, I took away my strength...looking back and saying, "Are you kidding me?  I survived that?!!"  Not only survive by thrive after something I never thought possible to exist afterwards.  At our last retreat for Hot Pink YOUniversity we had an exercise what makes you a Hot Pink Woman?  For each of us it is different.  The following is an exercise to help form self-love for all that you are, but first I am going to share what makes me a Hot Pink Woman!

What makes me a Hot Pink Woman!
I accept myself for all I do and mostly for all I don't do, or don't get done.  I release myself from inner judgment and from allowing the seepage of external judgment from the people in my life...even those that may be closest to me, knowing their truth of me, is never about me, but is about where they are at in their own lives. 
I am Hot Pink when I start each day as fresh and full of fabulous new beginnings!
I accept myself and I release self-blame, self-sabotage from my finest me and burst forward into what will and I "will"...manifesting my greatest good.
I am Hot Pink when I move from self-shame into self-love.
I am a mom, a wife, an artist, a therapist, a writer, a daughter and a friend.  I can be frazzled and overly creative with more ideas than time.  I like to have fun, I like to drink some wine, to dance to laugh and I love to sing.  I love to be raunchy and have an odd sense of humor at times.  I love to gather women.  I love to travel and feel oddly and ecstatically most myself when I am traveling.  I learn more and grow more through travel as it takes me way beyond the realm of routine and comfort and into an oxymoron-like uncomfortable joy.  If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one message to serve to those that choose my mindful restaraunt it would be to live outside of conventionality, convenience and boxes and move into YOU...however messy at times that can be, but so damn worth it!

So, what makes you a Hot Pink Woman!  Create your own womanifesto by asking yourself the following:  

·         What are my strengths?
·         What are my cracks?  I am referring to a concept of Wabi-Sabi..where in an Asian culture there is an embrace and a celebration of cracks in pottery...so much so that in museums those cracks are filled with gold to emphasize and the light is shown on it...love that thought!
·         When do you feel most alive?  Where do you feel most alive?
·         What do you need to release about yourself and fully accept?
·         What have you overcome and what makes you strong!

Christie Gause-Bemis
One of three of the women of Hot Pink YOUniversity.  Christie is a psychotherapist in private practice.  She is a mama, a wife, a writer, and an artist.  Visit www.hotpinkyou.com for more information.  Email at info@hotpinkyou.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co

Radical Self-Love: Part One of Four

Welcome to Part One of a Four Part Series about LOVE....Radical Self-Love!!! This is the season of love we are entering into...right?   February is all about Valentine's Day and being in love.   Walking into the grocery store or the clothing store or watching ads on television...it is all about love.   Red hearts, lingerie, chocolate candies, roses....Ah.....   All this love has to start somewhere, and that somewhere is YOU!  If you do not love yourself, how will others see you for the goddess you are?   This is the first of a four part series on Radical Self-Love. It all starts in the womb.   Warren Buffet was interviewed this past weekend on CBS this morning.   He was not born into his wealth, he created it.  And now, at 82 he is giving a lot of it away.   What does he attribute to his success?   When interviewed he said that it all began in the womb...with luck.   He was born a white male in the 1930's, not another race, not female.   Now, when he says this he i