Skip to main content

It’s All About the Moments


Could Instead of Should

It’s 5 am.  I am sleeping all warm and snug in my bed when I feel a touch on my arm and my sweetheart says, “Baby you gotta come see the sunrise over the lake.”  

I have that moment of hazy hesitation having just been in a deep sleep, but my heart opens, I feel myself smile and I take the moment.  We walk silently together to our front deck and I suck in that deep breathe of awe at the amazing beauty of Mother Nature…there is something about the sun rising and setting over water that is magical!  The sky is an impressionist painting of wild pink, purple, peach, yellow and orange stretched as far as we can see.  We stand still for just a few quiet moments holding hands and taking it all in. “It is so beautiful!” I say.  “It is, he says as he takes leave to begin his day.  I stand there just a few moments longer, alone and acknowledging this moment.  My thoughts go deep…
     I go to the importance of being present and of honoring a positive impulse.  I think of how loved and connected I felt that Joel chose to take the time, wake me up, and ask me out to the sunrise with him.  This seems like such a little thing, but the ripple effect is powerful.  It is so important for us to acknowledge “moments” rather than letting them slip away under all the things that get in our head.  You know, he could have not woke me because it was too early.   I could have said, “I am too warm, tired, comfy.”  That sunrise would have come and gone and we would have missed such a sweet moment for ourselves and together.  
     This was an opportunity to use should thinking (from the head).   “I should let her sleep.”  “I should stay in my warm bed.” or could thinking (from the heart).  “I could share this beauty with her.”  “I could start my day with my sweetheart and the sunrise”.  I find myself wondering why we all don’t go with the coulds more often and how we let all the shoulds get in our way.  I see how this is about capturing opportunities and making choices that feed our wants and desires and just how often we DON’T do that!  I mean, who wouldn’t want to start the day this way?!  It was one of those precious little moments that happened because he wanted me to see this beauty and he went for it and I got out of my warm bed.   
     I encourage you to gift yourself and those you love with being present and taking in those moments, really opening yourself to the experience and the energy that is there for you.  The next time you are moved by something, think of someone, have a desire- go for it!  Ask it, take it, share it-make moments and memories born from the heart.  When we honor our desires in these little ways, it opens us to making bigger choices and decisions from a place of our desire and that leads to a way of life filled with passion, purpose and play.  Seizing the moment is so Hot Pink!!  
With Big Hugs and Love,

Ann Murgatroyd-Soe, MSSW, LCSW, Hot Pink YOUniversity www.hotpinkyou.com  Helping women to reignite their passions, their purpose and their play!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co

Radical Self-Love: Part Four of Four

Radical S elf-Love:  Part Four of Four Photograph by Christie Gause-Bemis   Imagine being asked out on a date with that one person in your life you are most excited to share your time with.   The anticipation, the thought put into your hair, your make-up, your outfit and your attitude, your personal pep-talk.   Now, imagine that date is with yourself....who more important to primp and prep for? When I turned 29, it was a milestone for me.   One more foot towards 30; but, more importantly, I was now older than my big sister.   She passed away the day after her 29th birthday party after a long battle with brain cancer, and here I was, alive and grateful.   I always wanted a surprise birthday party and remembered the one we had given my sister for her 29th.   I wondered, who, if anyone, would ever give me a surprise birthday party.   I know, a weird dream from childhood.   I decided that year, "why wait?".   Why wait for that special someone to come into my life