Skip to main content

Are You in Your Journey or on the Side Lines?

Women Who are in the Arena….I Applaud YOU!


Brene Brown talks about the gift of vulnerability.  And on one of her talks she shares that there are those who are in the arena and those who are on the outside.  You know what I’m talking about? The arena where we try new things, take chances, take a risk. For many of us the chance is on loving again.  Or, the risk of starting our own business. Or, trying something new, like taking a class or hobby or sky diving...Yeah, that arena. The one that grows you and the one that leaves you vulnerable, on the stage, in front of the audience.  What Brene Brown talks about is that those that are in the audience or on the sidelines looking in have no right to judge, criticize, make fun of, or be less than supportive of those that are in the arena doing the hard stuff.

If you are in the arena, be proud.  Hold your head high. Ignore the naysayers, their merely the audience of your life, but also of their own life as well.  

Being in the arena is tough shit!  I once had a dream a few years ago that I had put a hot pink streak in my hair and I was so excited about it.  As I walked up to these two giant wooden doors and opened them up to the world, on the other side of that doorway stood a huge crowd of people.  Some of the people I recognized, relatives, acquaintances and a few co-workers. Immediately I felt vulnerable, exposed, foolish, and I tried to hide my hair, my hot pink stripe from the crowd.  I felt shame.

I think the symbolism is clear.  The Hot Pink stripe was the work I was doing in the world with Hot Pink YOUniversity.  And the more visible I was becoming, through social media presence, speaking, or having the audacity to author a book with my thoughts and stories...the more I was entering the arena.  

The “other” or audience is usually not the enemy to what greatness we could be, usually that monster lives inside.  

How do we move past the monsters holding us back and move into the arena and our authentic self?  Or, as I like to think, how do we enjoy the ride, not just the end goal?

Being present to the journey.
Giving ourselves a break.
Compassionate self-talk
Internally validating ourselves versus relying on external validation.
Being audacious to inspire future audacity in ourselves and others.
Taking action, imperfectly moving forward, to learn and experiment with life, to lead to greater clarity and knowing-inaction in the death of a dream.
Dreaming.
Always curious with life, with ourselves.  Never making assumptions that you know.

These are the virtues to living authentically, entering the arena to play, find pleasure, laugh and take some audacious risks.

Won’t you join us in the arena?!

Author:  Christie Gause-Bemis of Hot Pink YOUniversity and author of Ignite Your Life:  Reignite Passion, Purpose and Play.  www.hotpinkyou.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co

Radical Self-Love: Part Four of Four

Radical S elf-Love:  Part Four of Four Photograph by Christie Gause-Bemis   Imagine being asked out on a date with that one person in your life you are most excited to share your time with.   The anticipation, the thought put into your hair, your make-up, your outfit and your attitude, your personal pep-talk.   Now, imagine that date is with yourself....who more important to primp and prep for? When I turned 29, it was a milestone for me.   One more foot towards 30; but, more importantly, I was now older than my big sister.   She passed away the day after her 29th birthday party after a long battle with brain cancer, and here I was, alive and grateful.   I always wanted a surprise birthday party and remembered the one we had given my sister for her 29th.   I wondered, who, if anyone, would ever give me a surprise birthday party.   I know, a weird dream from childhood.   I decided that year, "why wait?".   Why wait for that special someone to come into my life