Skip to main content

Radical Self-Love: Part Four of Four



Radical Self-Love:  Part Four of Four

Photograph by Christie Gause-Bemis

 

Imagine being asked out on a date with that one person in your life you are most excited to share your time with.  The anticipation, the thought put into your hair, your make-up, your outfit and your attitude, your personal pep-talk.  Now, imagine that date is with yourself....who more important to primp and prep for?

When I turned 29, it was a milestone for me.  One more foot towards 30; but, more importantly, I was now older than my big sister.  She passed away the day after her 29th birthday party after a long battle with brain cancer, and here I was, alive and grateful.  I always wanted a surprise birthday party and remembered the one we had given my sister for her 29th.  I wondered, who, if anyone, would ever give me a surprise birthday party.  I know, a weird dream from childhood.  I decided that year, "why wait?".  Why wait for that special someone to come into my life and throw me a party, I would do for myself.  

I sent out the invites via snail mail....a bit before email anyway!  I had no return address and just the time, date and location.  During the week leading up to the party, I would walk into unsuspecting friends, huddled in mute conversations and changing the subject as I walked into the room.  It was pure joy anticipating the day of the party.  On the evening of the party, I prepared the food, had drinks ready to go, and created a party atmosphere.  I left a note on the door for guests to let themselves in and that the birthday girl would be arriving at 7pm.  Then I donned the binoculars and parked the next street over as I watched my friends and loved ones park throughout the neighborhood and sneak up to the house.  I pulled up to the house at the designated time and giggled all the way to the door, opening it to the yell of "surprise!"  Love, love, love greeted me.  A handful of my friends surmised that there was no way my house would be that clean without me knowing something!  

Why do we wait for someone to "make us happy"?  or to "love us in the way we desire"?  I choose  to start with loving myself and treating myself to the pure joy life has to offer.  

On Valentine's Day I included the following in an email to our Hot Pink YOUniversity followers and I share it again in this blog.  Love yourself radically and deeply.  Love yourself first and fully.  Love yourself in as many ways possible....

Women are caretakers and nurturers.  Time to care for yourself....so that you may fan the flame of others.
You may be familiar with the concept of the Five Languages of Love*...I use this concept with couples in therapy.  It is about getting to know the way in which your partner feels most loved and making sure you speak his or her love language.  This Valentine's Day I want you to consider what makes you feel most loved and to do that for YOU!
Physical Affection

  • ·         Move your body today...get your groove on, dance in your living room to your favorite music
  • ·         "Lotioning"  spend some time spreading lotion over your body...take your time and really show your body you love it.
  • ·         Warm bath, low lights, soft music, candles....mmmmmm.
  • ·         Eat in a way your body feels good today
  • ·         Go for a walk in nature...the snow is light and fluffy today...enjoy the "new" landscape that was created for us last night.

Verbal Affection

  • ·         Look in the mirror today and say the words you wish to hear, "I love you, you are perfectly you, I enjoy you."
  • ·         Any time you are aware today of self-deprecating thoughts or words...turn that around for yourself!  Lose your keys?  Instead of being stupid, pause and be gentle with yourself. 
  • ·         Wear something today that makes your body feel great...look in the mirror and tell yourself just are marvelous you are.
  • ·         Today's affirmation:  I can only give others as much love as I have for myself...today I choose to love myself abundantly
  • ·         Listen to positive music today...Jana Stanfield, Karen Drucker, Karen Taylor-Good...sing out loud!!!

Gifts

  • ·         It's okay to buy yourself flowers, chocolates...stop waiting for "someone" to show you love!
  • ·         Give a random $10 out there today...anonymous or not....feel the joy that little gesture gives you.
  • ·         Go to the perfume counter and throw on your favorite scent today...so what if you can't afford it today...at least you can smell like you can!
  • ·         Free gifts abound...go to the library and get a romantic comedy, a favorite book....
  • ·         Listen to Hay House radio or watch a Tedx Talk video googled on-line...learn something inspirational

Quality Time

  • ·         Read an inspirational book and journal to yourself about what you have read
  • ·         Meditate today
  • ·         What do you enjoy...bowling, movies...call a friend today and make that happen
  • ·         Go out to dinner by yourself if you are not with the love of your life...take a book and people watch...if you see other couples...draw in the loving energy they have...
  • ·         Make a list of gratitude you have today!

Acts of Service

  • ·         Get a massage today
  • ·         Write all the things you DID accomplish today and amaze yourself
  • ·         Get a monkey off your back...if there is something weighing heavy on your mind...stop procrastinating and just get it done...you will feel better.
  • ·         Run your errands...and then treat yourself to a glass of wine or a cup of tea somewhere as a reward.
  • ·         Do a random act of kindness for someone...an anonymous Valentine's card, shoveling a neighbor's driveway...enjoy how it elevates your energy.

Love yourself today because...You is Kind, You is Beautiful and YOU is Important  (The Help)
*The Five Languages of Love by Gary Chapman.
Christie Gause-Bemis, MSW, LCSW is a psychotherapist in private practice and co-owner of Hot Pink YOUniversity.  www.hotpinkyou.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co