Skip to main content

The Paralysis Analysis of FEAR

Fear....such a tiny word, 4 letters only, with profound implications.  In Scrabble, FEAR would only get you 6 points, not enough to win the game.



But in life, we give FEAR so much more weight.  It drives our decisions, makes us lose what is ours to have, keeps us skimming the surface in relationships, experiences, choices.

I was having lunch with a friend a few weeks ago and we were talking about forks in the road and how to decide on something.  I was facing a big decision in my life and it was making feel all kinds of things.  At the core, I was feeling decision paralysis...you know, not deciding on anything.  When we are in that place, the outcome we desire looks impossible.  When we are at the fork in the road, we stand there for far too long, kicking pebbles around and weighing the pros and the cons of each and every possible nuance of the decision.  We camp out in exploration and visioning.  In a month, a year or years, we find ourselves still staring at the same fork in the road.

Fear is at the core of that paralysis: 

Fear of failure
Fear of unworthiness
Fear of the what ifs....

My friend shared with me that the very word, decision, means to cut.  When you decide on one direction, you leave the other direction behind.  That other direction may have opportunities or advantages to it.  We leave a job to jump into our entrepreneurial endeavors.  We leave the single life to trust into the relationship with another.  We leap into a travel opportunity and spend our resources towards that endeavor.  We move to another location and leave the existing comforts behind. 

Each decision has something in it that needs severing.  Each decision has a loss or losses to mourn.  Each decision leads down a path and away from another.  That is why making a decision can be so hard.  It has instant and long-term ramifications to it that we might not like, and then what?  What if we do not like aspects of the decision we made? What if we want to go back?

Generally speaking, there are very few decisions that we do make in life that are permanent.  We actually can go back, maybe not to the exact same place, but a place like it.  We leave a job to take action on our business...there are always more jobs out there.  We take a leap to explore a new love, to trust...there is always a chance it will not work, but better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, so says Alfred Lord Tennyson. The single life will still be waiting for you. 

To decide, to cut.

What decision are you making right now in your life?
How long have you been making it?
What losses will you have in each direction?
What are you willing to lose?
What are your ultimate gains in each of the decision?
What if failure was just another opportunity to learn?

What if the best possible outcome was right there waiting for you?

Some good ways to making a decision are:

Walk around for the next week in "as if".  As if you have made the decision, what would be different for you.

Set a decision making deadline.  I will decide to leave my job or stay by the end of this month.  Then explore the various aspects of the decision and out-of-the-box, flexible thinking. 

Most decisions are not as black and white as what we believe, the forks have variations to them.  I don't have to leave my job completely, I could go to part-time and explore a bit more.  I don't have to move in with him, I could move near and spend a few nights a week with him.

Each new decision leads to new confidence for the next one.

Christie Gause-Bemis, MSW, LCSW, Hot Pink YOUniversity www.hotpinkyou.com  Helping women to reignite their passions, their purpose and their play!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co

Radical Self-Love: Part Four of Four

Radical S elf-Love:  Part Four of Four Photograph by Christie Gause-Bemis   Imagine being asked out on a date with that one person in your life you are most excited to share your time with.   The anticipation, the thought put into your hair, your make-up, your outfit and your attitude, your personal pep-talk.   Now, imagine that date is with yourself....who more important to primp and prep for? When I turned 29, it was a milestone for me.   One more foot towards 30; but, more importantly, I was now older than my big sister.   She passed away the day after her 29th birthday party after a long battle with brain cancer, and here I was, alive and grateful.   I always wanted a surprise birthday party and remembered the one we had given my sister for her 29th.   I wondered, who, if anyone, would ever give me a surprise birthday party.   I know, a weird dream from childhood.   I decided that year, "why wait?".   Why wait for that special someone to come into my life