Skip to main content

ASK!




Authored by:  Christie Bemis

I wrote this on the Saturday before Mother's Day and wanted to share this as we leave spring and move into summer.  I am hoping it will inspire you!

As this Mother's Week wraps up...yes, you read that right....in my home I lovingly refer to the week before Mother's Day as Mother's week, I am basking in the glory of being a mom.  Last night, my son and I went to a concert together. Today, my daughter and I will spend some quality time together, a bike ride or a snuggle with a movie....we will see what the weather allows.  And, tomorrow, I will wake up and wait and wait and wait, listening to the noises of my kids in the kitchen making me crepes with strawberries and banana foster topping.  And....yes, there's more, there will be the perfect gift and dinner on the grill.

So, how did this magic  happen?  Are my kids just exceptional?  Did they get some kind of bizarre gene that included Mother's Day kindness?  No, none of these things are accurate....I vsiualized what made me feel loved as a mother, and, get this....I asked for it.

Now, I run across a lot of women...a mean a gazillion or more, that say this, "If I have to ask for it, it's not worth it."  or "If I ask for exactly what I want, it doesn't have as much meaning when I get it."  And it makes my mouth hang open like "what?"

I am big into manifesting....visualizing what I want, asking the universe for what I need and desire.  But, manifesting does not stop there...it is not passive thoughts.  Manifesting is action.  Manifesting is asking not just the universe, but real live people.  Manifesting is assertive.

On Monday of Mother's week, I told my son that I had seen one of my favorite local bands, Green Tea opening a show for Tommy and High Pilots, a band I have not heard of out of Santa Barbara.  I said to Luke, "We should go...it would be nice for Mother's Day."  Now, did my teenage son excitedly say, "That sounds great mom...I am really looking forward to it!"  Ahh, no.  But, on Friday he called me from disc golf after school and asked me what time he should be home for our "thing".  And, he was home on time and he did go.  He watched the show quietly, but I saw his foot tap to the beat and he made comments here and there about the piano player or the drummer.  Halfway through Tommy and Hightops, I turned to him and asked if he wanted to stay or go and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders in non-commital way, so I took that as "stay".  And we did, til the end of the show.  As we left I said, "They were really good."  And Luke agreed.

I took that to mean, he had a great time.  See, as a therapist, I get to read all kinds of things and my two new favorites are The Female Brain and The Male Brain by Louanne Brizendine, a recommended read for all you mamas out there...or wives....or girlfriends....etc.....It helped me understand the adolescent male brain is wired for excitement.  And, hanging out with mom is not a favorite thing.  I don't take it personally.  Fighting against biological wiring will get us nowhere, embracing the reality and working with it flows much nicer.  

I asked for breakfast, the same every year.  I set my family up for success by providing them with the recipes, the ingredients stocked, and I make sure the night before I bring in plenty of reading material to keep me busy in the morning while I wait for the tray to come with crepes and berries and a mimosa on the side with fresh coffee to go along with the first cup that was brought in earlier as I opened my eyes.  And, I see the pride on my kids face as they got it right for me, the fresh cut flower I know will be there as well.  How do I know this?  I asked.

Christie Bemis is a co-founder of Hot Pink YOUniversity and a psychotherapist in private practice.  She is a mom of two and step-mom of three and seeks to live this thought:  "If you do not live the life you believe, you will soon believe the life you live."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Self-Love: Part Three of Four

Part Three of Four Parts on Radical Self-Love Give Yourself the Gift of Forgiveness I once did something in my life so bad, so unforgiving...even just thinking back to it, makes me shudder and ask myself, "What the hell was I thinking?!"   I mean, this behavior was so against my values, my philosophy of life, that it bolted me out of self-love into self-loathing for quite some time...won't even share what it is...that's how bad! We've all done some things in life that when we look back at the video of our lives...it makes us want to block that little chunk out.   Or, maybe we react with rationalization or justification to our deed, "Well, he....", "Well, I did that, but what she did was so much worse." or "I wouldn't have done that if....." .   Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier to just admit our mistake, ask for forgiveness and move on.   Time heals all wounds...even the wounds we create.   People do move o

Have You Heard the News

The News We Don't Always Hear When you travel, you are immersed in the culture of the people.  Included in that culture is the news that does not always make the American papers.  On day two, we visit the central area of Guatemala city and at market is this small memorial.  Crosses, ashes in the center, flowers and a board painted with three girls swinging on swings all surrounding a central memorial plaque. Extending to the memorial are two ladders with the names of the 41 orphaned girls killed in a fire at an orphanage.  A mother of one of the girls stands vigil over the memorial, cooking and selling some food as people pass by and stumble upon the place honoring the young girls' lives.   When we use the term orphans in America, there are no parents.  Unicef estimates that of the 132 million orphans in the world, only 10% don't have parents.(1)  Conditions of poverty force parents across the world to leave their children to the social welfare systems of the co

Radical Self-Love: Part Four of Four

Radical S elf-Love:  Part Four of Four Photograph by Christie Gause-Bemis   Imagine being asked out on a date with that one person in your life you are most excited to share your time with.   The anticipation, the thought put into your hair, your make-up, your outfit and your attitude, your personal pep-talk.   Now, imagine that date is with yourself....who more important to primp and prep for? When I turned 29, it was a milestone for me.   One more foot towards 30; but, more importantly, I was now older than my big sister.   She passed away the day after her 29th birthday party after a long battle with brain cancer, and here I was, alive and grateful.   I always wanted a surprise birthday party and remembered the one we had given my sister for her 29th.   I wondered, who, if anyone, would ever give me a surprise birthday party.   I know, a weird dream from childhood.   I decided that year, "why wait?".   Why wait for that special someone to come into my life